A garter stitch baby hat is a simple and cozy project perfect for beginners. It only requires basic knitting skills, such as casting on, knitting, purling, and decreasing.
You can make this hat in any size, from newborn to toddler, by adjusting the number of stitches and rows.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to knit a garter stitch baby hat.
Materials Needed For Garter Stitch Baby Hat
To make a garter stitch baby hat, you will need:
- A pair of circular knitting needles in the size recommended for your yarn. You can also use double-pointed needles if you prefer.
- A skein of worsted-weight yarn in the color of your choice. You can use any yarn, but ensure it is soft and washable for the baby’s comfort.
- A tapestry needle for weaving in the ends.
- A pair of scissors for cutting the yarn.
- A stitch marker for marking the beginning of the round.
Gauge is the number of stitches and rows per inch you get with your yarn and needles.
It is important to check your gauge before you start knitting because it affects the size and shape of your hat.
To check your gauge, knit a small swatch in garter stitch and measure how many stitches and rows you have in a 4-inch square. If you have too many stitches, use larger needles.
f you have too few stitches, use smaller needles.
Instructions To Make Garter Stitch Baby Hat
To ensure a perfect fit, measure the baby’s head circumference. Typically, newborns have a head circumference of around 14 inches, while three-month-olds may measure about 16 inches.
Follow these instructions to knit a garter stitch baby hat:
1. Cast On: Begin by casting on 72 stitches using the circular needles. Join in the round, placing a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round.
2. Garter Stitch Body: Knit every round in garter stitch (knit every stitch) until the hat measures approximately 4 inches from the cast-on edge for a newborn size. Adjust the length for larger sizes accordingly.
3. Crown Shaping: Switch to double-pointed needles when needed as the crown decreases. Follow this decrease pattern:
- Round 1: Knit 8, k2tog; repeat around.
- Round 2 and all even rounds: Knit.
- Round 3: Knit 7, k2tog; repeat around.
- Round 5: Knit 6, k2tog; repeat around.
- Continue this pattern, reducing the number of knit stitches before each k2tog until you have a small number of stitches left.
4. Finishing: Cut the yarn, leaving a tail. Thread the tail through the yarn needle, slide the needle through the remaining stitches, and remove them from the needles. Pull tight to close the top of the hat.
5. Weaving Ends: Weave in all loose ends using the yarn needle to ensure a polish
Crafting a garter stitch baby hat is not only a delightful knitting project but also a heartfelt gift for the little ones in your life.
With its soft texture and charming simplicity, this hat will keep newborns snug and stylish, making it a cherished keepsake for years.
Explore about Knitting it Old School: 43 Vintage-Inspired Designs.